Personal InjuryMaine personal injury lawyers helping clients who have been seriously injured
Personal Injury Claims
Dan Stevens has over 30 years of experience in handling Personal Injury claims. He is listed in Best Lawyers in America for Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury cases and is widely regarded as among the best personal injury lawyers in Maine, as well as one of Maine’s top wrongful death attorneys.
What is a personal injury or wrongful death claim?
In Maine, personal injury cases arise when people are injured either by the careless, reckless or intentional acts of others, or by consumer products that are defective in some way. When a person is determined to be legally responsible for injuring another, that person is liable for the injury and may be made to pay compensatory damages to the injured person (or the person’s estate). Personal injury attorneys secure these “compensatory damages” for clients as an attempt to restore the injured person to the position that he or she was in before the incident giving rise to the claim.
What does a successful resolution of a personal injury case look like?
A personal injury lawyer in Maine who successfully settles or wins a verdict for a plaintiff’s claim will typically secure compensation for the client’s:
- Past and future medical expenses;
- Emotional harm or mental distress;
- Past and future pain and suffering;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Past and future lost earnings; and
- Permanent impairment.
Maine personal injury lawyers will also often incorporate “incidental expenses” into the settlement to cover the cost of:
- Home care;
- Travel to and from medical appointments;
- Medical devices;
- Expenses related to vocational rehabilitation or new job training; and
- Any other cost that is reasonable and necessarily related to the claim.
In cases where the wrongdoer has acted intentionally in an outrageous or malicious way toward the victim, punitive damages may be awarded as both a punishment and also as a deterrent.
Who can we help?
Our firm handles a variety of Personal Injury and Wrongful Death claims for clients who are:
- Located anywhere in the State of Maine;
- Residents of Maine (or any other State) injured anywhere in the world; and
- Non-residents and foreigners who have suffered a personal injury here in Maine.
We also handle Wrongful Death claims for people who have lost a loved one due to the fault of another person.
Contact Stevens & Day, LLP